Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Tax Time Organizing

We filed our taxes several weeks ago but just this weekend packed up all of our 2010 stuff. We hadn't done this yet because we didn't want to make the mistake again this year of packing everything up only to receive documents in the mail weeks after packing up and having to go to our garage and dig out our box.  
This year we got REALLY serious and I made photo copies of all of our important documents that we need occasionally for things like insurance and sports sign-ups such as birth certificates, marriage license and social security cards to keep in our regular files and kept the originals in our fireproof safe.
 
And then I tackled the owners manuals of which, it seems, we have an endless supply.  You know, everything from the washer and dryer and KitchenAid mixer to my boys' electronic toys and husband's tools.  This is what I came up with:



I wanted to use the Martha Steward idea I saw on a show years ago of putting them all in plastic sleeves in labeled binders but didn't do this because it irritated my husband having to pull them out of the sleeves. I then thought of just hole-punching each one and putting it in a binder but doing that cut off information. So above is what I put together with what I had on hand.  I just recycled old file folders and labeled the categories on both the side of the file and the top for ease of finding what we needed. I put all the manuals behind each divider and stuck them in a bin I already had.
Now, I realize this isn't the loveliest thing to look at, but it stays in the office closet and I have to say it really is functional.   Since I've done this we've had to refer to several manuals and it gave me quite the thrill to go right to it AND my ultra-organized hubby even got a bit excited.  Yes, we're a little lame. But we do love us some organization!

2 comments:

  1. Wha, wha, wha...I really don't like "Tax Time". Luckily we didn't have to pay too much this year:) I need a professional organizer to come to my house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ami,
    I just found your blog through Eco Friendly Homemaking. I was looking for a tutorial for wool dryer balls, then scrolled through the comments. Not sure why I picked you, but so glad I did. Love your post about organizing tax docs! I know that sounds crazy, but it's important. :-]
    I am also eco-conscious and have a blog using felted sweaters! Stop by sometime. Would love to hear from you, too.

    ReplyDelete